Kimberley's Diggie
Kimberley header
 

Museums

 

Visit our Museums

bullet THE BIG HOLE
bullet KIMBERLEY'S TRAM
bullet ALEXANDER McGREGOR MEMORIAL MUSEUM
bullet WILLIAM HUMPHREYS ART GALLERY
bullet SOL PLAATJE MUSEUM
bullet THE TRANSPORT MUSEUM
bullet RHODES' BOARDROOM
bullet McGREGOR MUSEUM
bullet DUNLUCE
bullet RUDD HOUSE
bullet DUGGAN CRONIN GALLERY
bullet

BELGRAVIA & THE GREAT KIMBERLEY NORTH WALK

bullet

KIMBERLEY GHOST TRAIL

bullet

CLYDE TERRY HALL OF MILITARIA

bullet

FG TAIT GOLF MUSEUM

bullet

MEMORIAL TO THE PIONEERS OF AVIATION

bullet

WILDEBEEST KUIL ROCK ART CENTRE

bullet

MAGERSFONTEIN BATTLEFIELD AND MUSEUM

bullet

PAARDEBERG BATTLEFIELD MUSEUM

bullet WONDERWERK CAVE
For further information about Kimberley
please contact
Kimberley Tourism at tourism@solplaatje.org.za
or by phone at +27 (0)53 832 7298 or fax +27 (0)53 832 7211.
Please check with each individual establishment for latest information
regarding opening times and prices of admission.
The Big HoleTHE OPEN MINE MUSEUM & "THE BIG HOLE"
Phone
Address
Email
+27 (0)53 839 4600
Tucker Street
Hours Museum Admission "Big Hole" Admission
08:00 until 17:00 Every Day
(Closed on Christmas Day)
Free Adults
U/17
Family (2+2)
Pensioners
Phone
The Open Mine Museum has undergone a major reconstruction and re-opened on 25 November 2006.

Please note that entrance to the museum facility, as well as to the retail area within the new visitor’s centre, is free.

The above "Big Hole" admission fees will apply only to visitors wishing to view the Big Hole and other new attractions.

Consisting of original and carefully reconstructed buildings this museum has preserved a great deal of the city's past. The Eureka, the first recorded diamond discovered in South Africa, can be viewed at the museum. Have some fun sifting through diamond bearing gravel, looking for your own diamond. Experience a [simulated] diamond mining operation - complete with blastings! Play skittles in the old bowling alley, or just stroll through the old buildings which have been reconstructed here at the museum. Food and refreshments are available at the Occidental Bar.

  • It is t he largest hand-dug excavation in the world.
  • The "Big Hole" was mined to a depth of about 800m [2625 feet]
  • Depth of shaft = 1100m [3610 feet]).
  • The distance from the surface to the layer of debris lying on top of the kimberlite pipe is about 215m [705 feet], including (in 2001) some 40m [131 feet] of water.
  • It has a surface area of ±17 hectares [42 acres]
  • The perimeter is ±1.6km [1 mile]. 
  • By 14 August 1914 22,7 billion kg [22.5 million tons] of rock had been excavated, yielding 2722 kg [2.7 tons] of diamonds.
  • Underground mining was also eventually carried out at the Kimberley Mine, not just open pit mining.

KIMBERLEY'S TRAM

Kimberley's TramCurrently back in service again. As of 6 January 2015 no further information is available.

 

Phone Address
+27 (0)53 830 4417 c/o The Open Mine Museum
For further information about Kimberley
please contact
Kimberley Tourism at tourism@solplaatje.org.za
or by phone at +27 (0)53 832 7298 or fax +27 (0)53 832 7211.
 
ALEXANDER McGREGOR MEMORIAL MUSEUM
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 842 0099 Chapel Street
Hours Admission
Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00
Closed Sat & Sun
Donation

Situated in Chapel Street in the CBD. The original McGregor Museum was built in 1907 in memory of Alexander McGregor, a former mayor.

William Humphreys Art GalleryWILLIAM HUMPHREYS ART GALLERY
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 831 1724 Jan Smuts Boulevard
Hours Admission
Mon to Sat 08:00 to 16:45
Sun and public holidays 14:00 to 16:45
Phone

One of the most important galleries in the country, the WHAG houses a collection of traditional and contemporary South African graphics, sculptures and paintings. It hosts many special exhibitions from time to time.

SOL PLAATJE MUSEUM
Phone Address
+27 (0)82 804 3266 Angel St.
Hours Admission
Office hours
Weekends by appointment
Phone
THE TRANSPORT MUSEUM
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 838 2376 Florence St (Railway Station)
Hours Admission
Mon - Fri 08:30 - 15:30
except public holidays
Phone

Has a fine collection of railway memorabilia from the early days of steam locomotion. Kimberley was a main line terminus on the routes to and from Cape Town and the goldfields of the Transvaal.

RHODES' BOARDROOM
Phone Address
+27 (0)83 732 3189 Warren Street
Hours Admission
By Appointment. Free

Rhodes' Boardroom is on Warren St, Gladstone. It is a National Monument and was the De Beers Mining Company Head Office from 1886 to 1889 when it moved to Stockdale St. Many artifacts of Rhodes, Jameson, etc are on display, including the original boardroom table and chairs. This was the building where the mines amalgamation took place in 1888.

McGREGOR MUSEUM
McGregor Museum
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 839 2722 Atlas Street
Hours Admission
Mon-Sat 09:00-17:00
Phone

Originally constructed in 1897 by De Beers as a sanatorium, the building has served as a luxury hotel (Hotel Belgrave) and later as a convent school. The museum provides research and advice to a wide range of community projects throughout the Northern Cape.

DunluceDUNLUCE
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 839 2722 10 Lodge Road
Hours Admission
By appointment Phone

 

 

An elegant home built in 1897 for Gustav Bonas. It was John Orr's family home from 1902 to 1975.  It was declared a national monument in 1990. This home may be viewed by appointment with the McGregor Museum.

Rudd HouseRUDD HOUSE
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 839 2722 5 Loch Road
Hours Admission
By appointment Phone

Formerly the lavish home of HP Rudd, a mining magnate. It was restored to its full grandeur by the McGregor Museum. It was declared a national monument in 1990. This house can be viewed by appointment with the McGregor Museum

Duggan Cronin MuseumDUGGAN CRONIN GALLERY
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 839 2722 Egerton Road
Hours Admission
Mon-Sat 09:00-17:00
Week-ends and holidays - by appoinment
Donation

Exhibits indigenous cultures and lifestyles in some 8000 photographs taken by Irishman AM Duggan Cronin between 1919 and 1939 are just some of the invaluable ethnographic collection.

BELGRAVIA & THE GREAT KIMBERLEY NORTH WALK
If you enjoy walking there are two walks around Kimberley taking you past all the historic sights. Guides can be arranged through the McGregor Museum.
KIMBERLEY GHOST TRAIL
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 832 7298  

Visit the haunted corners of the city.

CLYDE TERRY HALL OF MILITARIA
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 832 7013 Memorial Road (MOTH Centre)
Hours Admission
By Appointment. Donation
FG TAIT GOLF MUSEUM
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 841 0179 Kimberley Golf Club (Transvaal Road)
Hours Admission
Tuesday to Sunday 08:00 to 20:00
Open Public holidays
Free
MEMORIAL TO THE PIONEERS OF AVIATION
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 839 2722 General Ken van der Spuy Drive
Hours Admission
Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00
Donation

Established in 1912/13. The birthplace of the South African Air Force. It is a reconstruction of the hangar, with a replica of the Compton Paterson bi-plane used in flight training. Just past the airport on the way to Magersfontein.

WILDEBEEST KUIL ROCK ART CENTRE
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 833 7069
+27 (0)82 222 4777
Barkly West Road (± 15km)
GPS 28°40'1"S 24°39'3"E
Hours Admission
Mon to Fri 09:00 to 16:00
Sat and Sun 10:00 to 16:00
Phone

Wildebeest Kuil is one of some 15 000 known rock art sites in South Africa. The art occurs in two forms: paintings and, as at Wildebeest Kuil, engravings.

MAGERSFONTEIN BATTLEFIELD AND MUSEUM
Phone Address
+27 (0)53 833 7115 Airport Rd to Modder River (±30Km)
GPS 28°58'14"S 24°42'16"E

Hours Admission
Open daily 08:00-16:00 Phone

Tours to the many battlefields can be designed around individual needs.

PAARDEBERG BATTLEFIELD MUSEUM
Phone Address
  Perdeberg / Paardeberg
(±44km SE of Kimberley on the N8 to Bloemfontein)
GPS 28°59'1"S 25°4'48"E
Hours Admission
Tuesday to Saturday, and Sunday morning. ?
WONDERWERK CAVE
Phone Address
  +27 (0)53 712 1036
+27 (0)82 832 7226

40km from Daniëlskuil on main road to Kuruman
(approx. 310km NW of Kimberley by road)
GPS 27°50'46"S 23°33'15"E

Hours Admission
Phone Phone

Wonderwerk Cave is on the eastern side of the Kuruman Hills, which consist mainly of ancient limestone, called dolomite. It is a solution cavity, which was formed millions of years ago as the limestone was dissolved by ground water and which was much later opened at one end by hillside erosion. The tunnel-shaped cave runs horizontally for 139 m into the base of the hill.

 
   
  Copyright © BDB Computers